Sigma Pi Sigma Outstanding Service Awards recognize individuals and groups of individuals who have performed meritorious service to the field of physics, to Sigma Pi Sigma the organization, its members, or to a local Sigma Pi Sigma Chapter. This local and regional award is designed for individuals or a group of individuals that have provided exception and long term support to the organization and/or its members.
Outstanding Service Awards are intended for deserving Sigma Pi Sigma members who exemplify an attitude of service to the discipline of physics through actions at the local, national, or international level.
- The awardee should be a deserving individual who has had a positive impact on a Sigma Pi Sigma chapter, its department, or community.
- The awardee is chosen by an individual chapter or group of chapters on the basis of his or her actions.
- Awardees do not need to be alumni of chapters giving the award.
- The award can be given at the same time the awardee is received into membership in the society, if he or she is not already a member.
The award consists of a plaque purchased from the national office by the awarding chapter with the Sigma Pi Sigma logo, date, name of individual, signature of president or director, and wording as follows:
In recognition of outstanding service to physics, and thereby exemplifying the mission statement of Sigma Pi Sigma, Jane Doe is hereby awarded the Sigma Pi Sigma Outstanding Service Award.
Awardees are recognized at both the local and national level through mention in the chapter's publications or those of the chapter's institution, and national venues such as Radiations magazine, PhysCon, and the Sigma Pi Sigma national website.
To apply for this award, please fill out this form or email thesee items to the Director of SPS and Sigma Pi Sigma (bconrad [at] aip.org (subject: Sigma%20Pi%20Sigma%20Outstanding%20Service%20Award) ) with a subject of "Sigma Pi Sigma Service Award":
- A statement introducing the nominee to the Sigma Pi Sigma National office from the awarding chapter
- A brief summary of their involvement with and impact on the department, the community,Sigma Pi Sigma, or its members
- A summary about how the nominee would be recognized, if confirmed.
- A copy of the nominee's CV or equivalent (if available, if not state so in the introductory statement)
All materials can be combined in the same letter or document. Nominee packets are reviewed by the Director of SPS and Sigma Pi Sigma and the current Sigma Pi Sigma President.