AIP-SPS Emergency Scholarship
Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Applications will be reviewed regularly, at the end of each month. Funding is limited.
*PLEASE NOTE: The awards system will be down for a short time in August. Please have all applications completed by August 10 to be considered in the August round of applicants, or you will have to restart your application.*
The AIP-SPS Emergency Scholarship was established by the Society of Physics Students, the American Institute of Physics (AIP), and donors to provide relief funding for undergraduate students impacted negatively by the COVID-19 pandemic and effects thereof. The award consists of an up to $2,000 scholarship. Scholarship amounts are reviewed individually, on a case-by-base basis.
- Up to $2000 may be awarded and funded
- Students may only receive one award
- Awarded to currently enrolled undergraduate students based on financial need, SPS Participation, and academic potential
- Applications accepted on a rolling-basis, evaluated monthly
- Applicants must be undergraduate members of the SPS national organization
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need through a written statement
- Applicants must exhibit SPS or department participation
- Awardees will be required to submit a completed W-9 federal tax form before dispersal
Applicants must complete an online application no later than the 15th of a month to be considered for that month (if this date falls on a weekend, the application is due the following Monday). The online system will guide applicants through completing the individual steps of the application process listed below, including requesting letters of recommendation. All pieces of the application must be in by the deadline in order to be considered for the scholarship.
- Completed general information form
- Written statement of the applicant’s participation in SPS or department activities
- Written statement of financial need from the applicant (no more than 500 words). Note: Provide supporting materials, such as furlough documents, cancelled internship emails, or other need illustrating documents. Be specific when possible.
- Certification from the Department Chair that the applicant is in good standing
- A letter of recommendation from the SPS adviser or a faculty member (in support of the student and any other appropriate factors to be considered for this award)
- Copy of transcript (to confirm enrollment)
The recommender should comment on the applicant in light of each of:
- the exhibition of the potential and intention for continued scholastic development in physics,
- active participation in SPS and department programs, and
- any other appropriate factors to be considered for this award.
In determining the recipients, the SPS Awards Committee shall consider the following criteria:
- financial need (as described in the statement of financial need - Be as specific as possible about financial loss and need),
- exhibition of the potential and intention for continued scholastic development, and
- active participation in SPS and department programs.
Details for Awardees
Awardees will be required to submit a completed W-9 federal tax form (or equivalent for international students) before funds are dispersed.
Please address questions related to this award to SPS-Programs [at] aip.org.