Proposals due November 15
Award at a Glance
- Several awards of up to $500 may be made each year
- Awarded to Sigma Pi Sigma chapters for funding of chapter inductions and events that aim to engage alumni or expand the recognition of Sigma Pi Sigma within the campus and surrounding community
Sigma Pi Sigma chapters are invited to submit award proposals to the national office for funding of up to $500 for chapter inductions and events. Selected chapters may receive funding to:
- Raise awareness of Sigma Pi Sigma in the local community and the physics community.
- Build community among local alumni and new Sigma Pi Sigma members.
- Add greater distinction to induction ceremonies and other chapter events.
- Increase the induction of new members.
- Encourage fundraisers for chapters and scholarship funds.
- Encourage more inter-chapter activities.
- Recognize outstanding achievement at the chapter level.
The award money may be used to defray the costs including transportation, food and non-alcoholic beverages, speaker honoraria, entertainment, decorations, and invitations, among other purposes.
Examples of Potential Chapter Projects
- An induction dinner with multiple Sigma Pi Sigma chapters that honors a distinguished local physicist or hidden physicist.
- An induction lunch with invited representatives of local physics businesses.
- Involvement in a science fair competition to recognize outstanding physics-related projects.
- A Sigma Pi Sigma "mentor" program, where members serve as mentors for undergraduate physics students.
- A Sigma Pi Sigma "help desk" or similar assistance for physics students who need tutoring.
- Applicants must be Sigma Pi Sigma chapters in good standing with the Sigma Pi Sigma national organization
- The project leader must be a student that is a member of the Sigma Pi Sigma and SPS national organizations
- Chapters must complete the application form located in the online FluidReview system, https://aipsps.fluidreview.com, no later than November 15 (only one Sigma Pi Sigma Chapter Project Award proposal per chapter will be accepted).
- Although approval from the Sigma Pi Sigma Chapter Advisor is required, the planning and writing of the proposal are the responsibility of the student members.
- To complete the application, chapters must upload a proposal and budget detailing their proposed activity, chapters should follow the guidelines provided in the proposal templates below when constructing their proposals.
How to Use Sigma Pi Sigma Award Templates
Sigma Pi Sigma award templates are designed to help chapters craft effective proposals and reports and enable reviewers to better compare proposals to each other. Chapters do not need to submit award proposals and reports with the same formatting as the templates, but they can. Chapters that plan to use their own formatting should read through the template in detail before writing the proposal to learn exactly what should be included. Chapters that plan to use the formatting in the template should read through the template in detail, then simply add their own text under each heading and delete the explanatory text (in purple). Please contact the SPS National Office, SPS-Programs@aip.org if you need a template in another format.
From among the proposals submitted by chapters, a panel of reviewers selects several of the most meritorious for Sigma Pi Sigma Chapter Project Awards. Honorable mentions may be made. Proposals will be judged on the following criteria:
- Extent to which the proposed project engages Sigma Pi Sigma chapter members, alumni, departmental groups, the local community and/or other Sigma Pi Sigma chapters.
- Extent to which the project shows evidence of imaginative and thoughtful implementation of Sigma Pi Sigma's mission "...to honor outstanding scholarship, to encourage interest in physics, to promote service to others, and to provide fellowship."
- Extent to which the project has a realistic timeline and budget, an acceptable format, and utilizes existing resources.
Details for Awardees
- Awardees are required to log back into the FluidReview system to upload a group picture, submit the Tax Id Number for their institution, and input press contacts at their institutions in order to accept their award
- Upon acceptance of the award, a check for one-half of the award amount will be sent to the SPS chapter with the understanding that the funds are to be used for the purpose set forth in the successful proposal.
- Awardees must carry out their proposed project and submit a final report by May 31 of the academic year in which they received their award, or they may be asked to return funding. Chapters should follow the guidelines provided in the template below when constructing their final report FILE.
- Upon submission of a complete report by May 31, the chapter will receive a check for the second half of the award amount. If the chapter did not spend the full award amount on the project, the check will be for the outstanding amount.
- Sigma Pi Sigma Chapter Project Award - Final Report Template (.doc)
Please address questions related to this award to firstname.lastname@example.org.